Quick Exit
RSS Icon

Raising Concerns

Under the Care Act 2014, the local authority takes the lead role in receiving and managing enquiries about adults with care and support needs (or appearance of these needs) who may be experiencing or at risk of harm or abuse.

In Sefton, this is Sefton Metropolitan Borough Council Adult Social Care, which is separate to Sefton Safeguarding Adults Partnership Board (a strategic partnership). Safeguarding concerns should be shared with Sefton Adult Social Care either via the Professional Portal or by calling 0345 140 0845.

Safeguarding adult duties apply where an adult living in the local area:

  • has needs for care and support (or appears to have those needs)
  • is experiencing, or at risk of, abuse or neglect
  • and is unable to protect themselves from that abuse or neglect because of their care and support needs

Care and support is the mixture of practical, financial and emotional support for adults who need extra help to manage their lives and be as independent as possible - including older people, people with a disability or long-term illness, people with mental health problems, and carers.

Care and support includes assessment of people's needs and provision of appropriate services to reduce limitations and ongoing risks. It could include care home, home care, personal assistants, day services, or the provision of aids and adaptations.

Remember, even if the safeguarding duties do not apply, and a safeguarding enquiry under section 42 Care Act does not happen, Adult Social Care may still be able to support the person or signpost to other options.

You can raise a safeguarding adults concern to Adult Social Care:

  • By calling Sefton Council Adult Social Care Contact Centre on 0345 140 0845. Further information can also be found on the Adult Social Care website here.
  •  You can make a referral via the Sefton Portal. Guidance on how to use the Portal can be found here.
  • In an emergency, please contact the Police: 999. If the person is not in immediate danger, contact the Police: 101.
  • Deaf People are able to report an emergency via 999 BSL app. 


No comments have been left for this article

Have your say...

Your name will be published alongside your comment but we will not publish your email address.

All comments will be reviewed by a moderator before being published.

Please ensure you complete all fields marked as mandatory.